It’s June 19th, 2005, and it’s only appropriate, after many months of non winemaking, that today would be the day I’d finally start a new batch.
It’s Father’s Day.
Two years ago, my father’s day present from my one year old son and his mom was a wine making kit.
I have made several batches of wine since then, but due to some odd circumstances, never bottled any of it. Oh yes, it was all consumed.. but rather quickly.
Folks would come by, and I’d ask if they wanted wine. Or sometimes, I felt like some wine myself. So, after the fermentation cycle was completed, I’d just go down to my lousy wine making area, suck my syphon, and fill a bottle.
The wine was quite good in spite of my unconventional method of enjoying it.
I started off with a kit of Liebframilch. A quickie. By August, it was ready and the summer temperatures were warm – perfect weather for bottles of Liebramilch. Then, I tried some Volipecella. A red, for the winter. I did intend to bottling it up, but syphoning on an “as needed basis” meant that in the long run, no bottling was ever done. Just syphon off.. enjoy.
A few more batches like that, and I was into wine-making, but detested the only area I had for winemaking.
Today, after some plumbing, some clean up, and some labour on the part of a great friend, I now have my own wine making area that is awesome.
And son on this Father’s Day, two years from when I received my first wine making kit, I started a new batch of Liebframilch. A six week kit, distributed by Vineco – the Bin49 line.
After sanitizing all my equipment that has been in storage for about a year, I poured in the juice into my primary fermenter. Added warm water, a mixture of very hot water and Bentonite, the dried Elderflowers, and the yeast. The juice temperature was about 85 F, the room temperature 21.9 C. The Specific Gravity was 1.90 – which should mean a wine of about 13% alcohol.
A perfect summer wine for August.
In about ten days, we’ll transfer the wine into the secondary fermenter, Then 20 days later, transfer back into the primary, add some potassium metabisulphite, and stir vigorously to remove gases for a couple of days.
Then, we’ll stabalize the wine, transfer back into the secondary fermenter, and let it sit for about 2 1/2 weeks.
In the meantime, we’ll also start a wonderful full bodied red Valpolicella as well.