No More Room
Well, after the past few days, I’ve got barely room to stand in my winemaking area. I’ve got primaries everywhere, carboys up on the counter and the floor, and I’ll have to wait a bit before starting anything new methinks. Or else I’ll be put out of the house for taking it over!
In addition to the blueberry wine I started the other day, I’ve also started a blackberry wine and a black currant wine. The blackberry wine was based on a recipe I found in a book, while the blackcurrant wine was mostly based on my own whim after doing some research on blackberries.
The recipes are here:
Most of the black currant wine recipes that I found on the Internet were more for a port style wine, which is not what I want. The one or two others didn’t seem to take into consideration the high pectin content of black currants and the fact these berries have pretty tough skin. We’ll see what we end up with!
I think, for the next week or so, I’ll be monitoring specific gravity levels, doing some racking, and lots of reading. Wendy will be happy – after I clean up the juice spills that seem to be all over the kitchen. It’s a pain when the plastic bag (even though it was heavy duty plastic) decided to leak while I was thawing berries in the fridge. Good thing today is garbage day.