Sweet Mead Yeast Comes Through
The last several posts here have mostly been about the recent meads I started, and of course the sweet mead I am attempting using White Labs Sweet Mead Yeast (# WLP720).
To summarize, I started a batch of sweet mead on the 28th of January. I had misread the “Best Before” date on the vial of the liquid yeast and the date on it was for last year.
I went ahead and made an activator while keeping my mead safe for a couple of days with added sulphite, hoping the yeast would still be viable. Then, I went ahead and pitched the yeast on the 3oth of January.
This morning, the 1st of February I was fully prepared to observe no yeast activity and pitch a package of 71B-1122 that I had on hand. But to to my joy, there was definitely yeast activity in the sweet mead batch! A good aerating stir produced lots of foamy CO2 on top as well.
I did not take a Specific Gravity reading this morning – I’ll do that in a few days and watch the progress over the next ten days or so.
I guess when some say that this liquid sweet mead yeast takes a while to get going, they mean it!
I’ll continue to update information on this sweet mead as the fermentation continues.